Greetings from India to Your Lordship and to all the members of Judiciary. We, the organisers of the Conference, also wish and pray for peace and prosperity in your esteemed country in the coming year 2017.
2. The 17th International Conference of Chief Justices of the World on Article 51 of the Constitution of India, with its main theme “Uniting the World for Children through Enforceable World Law and Effective Global Governance”, was held, as scheduled, from 9th to 15th November, 2016. The aforesaid Article 51 relates to International peace and security. In this Conference 144 Chief Justices and Judges from 48 countries of the world (including India) participated and took active part in deliberations.
3. The Prime Minister of Mauritius the Rt. Hon. Mr Anerood Jugnauth and the Prime Minister, first Vice-President of Cooperative Republic of Guyana H.E. Mr Moses Veerasammy Nagamootoo and H.E. Sir Iakoba T. Italeli, Governor General of the Republic of Tuvalu also participated and expressed their views on the theme of the Conference. Besides, former Presidents of the (1) H.E. Mr Stjepan Mesic, President of the Republic of Croatia (2000-2010) (2) H.E. Mr Kgalema Motlanthe, President of the Republic of South Africa (2008-2009) (3) H.E. Mr Cassam Uteem, President of the Republic of Mauritius (1992-2002) and (4) H.E. Mr Abdul Rahman Swar Al Dahab, President of the Republic of Sudan (1985-1986) also participated and, expressing their views, supported the call for enforceable world law and effective global governance.
4. The idea behind organizing the Conference is to create world-wide awareness for world unity and world peace so as to make this world a better place to live in and in which children of the world and future generations may live in a safe and secure world. The present global situation is very complex. There are serious problems and issues which threaten the very existence of humankind. Inspite of efforts at international level, there has been limited success with regard to preventing wars, international terrorism and extremism, stockpiling of weapons of mass-destruction and in relation to many other problems having international ramifications. The present era of globalization has brought new challanges which the present international agencies are not equipped to deal with. Therefore, the participants opined that in view of the present global situation a new world order is required for effective global governance under rule of law.
5. Hon’ble Chief Justices, Judges and Heads of State from a large number of countries of the world who participated in the 17th International Conference of Chief Justices passed a Resolution (Annexure 1) in the final Plenary Session of the Conference on Monday, 14th November, 2016. In the Resolution it has been Resolved:-
“That urgent attention of Heads of State and Heads of Government of all countries of the world be drawn to the present sensitive and disturbing global situation, urging them to call a meeting of Heads of State/Government of all countries of the world -
To consider the present global problems facing mankind and to find solutions to these problems and to work for establishment of a World Parliament to enact enforceable World Laws, a World Government and a World Court of Justice at the earliest, before it is too late.”
Besides, the following Recommendations have also been made in the Resolution:-
- “That although the UNO is working for peace, more serious and concrete steps must be taken to reform the United Nations by review of the UN charter with a view to making the UN fully democratic, representative and effective institution by amending the UN Charter for the maintenance of peace and security of mankind and for effective global governance;
- That the United Nations be urged to endeavour that the resources currently used in wars, manufacturing, research and development of Weapons of Mass Destruction and their delivery systems be consecrated for the welfare of mankind;
- That all nation states be urged to implement effectively the provisions of fundamental human rights as enshrined in declarations, conventions, protocols and resolutions of the United Nations and of regional organisations;
- That UN be urged to resolve that education for peace and cross-cultural understanding be imparted compulsorily from early childhood in all schools of the World so as to develop in every child virtues of unity, love and universal brotherhood; and
- That strict measures be taken against the organizations and nations engaged in or encouraging terrorism or assisting or protecting terrorists and that the nations or organizations extending financial or material assistance to terrorists be isolated and condemned by all nations.”
6. Your Lordship is aware that global realities have changed since the creation of the United Nations Organization in 1945. The framers of the U.N. Charter had anticipated changes in global situation and have provided for review thereof in its article 109; but the much awaited review of the Charter has not been made owing to reluctance of powerful countries who dominate at global stage.
7. In such a situation, it has been considered necessary that Heads of State/Government should meet on a common platform and enter into dialogue and mutual consultations to consider the present global problems and issues and to find solutions thereof. There is urgent need to safeguard the future of humanity and for a united and peaceful world under effective global governance under rule of law. It is therefore, expedient that urgent steps be taken by political leadership of the world - Heads of State/Government to redress and address global problems and issues after mutual consultations in a meeting that may be organized by one of the Head of State/Government who will be known as pioneer of change for emancipation of humanity.
8. Your Lordship, we are going to write to the U.N. Secretary General and to Heads of State and Heads of Government of all the countries (including your esteemed country) with the request that the views expressed, and recommendations made, in the Resolution be given serious consideration and supported actively by taking up the issue at appropriate level. By expressing their views in the Conference in the form of the Resolution, the world judiciary has shown the way forward and now it is for the world leadership to lead the world for a better future for humanity.
9. We shall be highly obliged if Your Lordship may kindly take initiative to motivate political leadership of your esteemed country to take action as required in the attached Resolution passed at the 17th International Conference of Chief Justices of the World. We shall be grateful for your views and action taken in this regard so that the same may be considered at the 18th International Conference of Chief Justices to be held from 8th to 14th November, 2017 at Lucknow, India. We shall be highly obliged if Your Lordship may kindly participate, as Guest of Honour, in the Conference proposed to be held from 8th to 14th November, 2017 for which formal invitation will be sent in due course.
With highest regards,