We, the organizers of the aforementioned Conference, wish you and to members of your family a very Happy New Year 2017 and pray for peace and prosperity in, and development of, your esteemed country.
2. We had in our letters entreated Your Excellency to participate as Chief Guest at the 17th International Conference of Chief Justices on Article 51 of the Constitution of India. The said Article 51 (reproduced at the top of this letter) relates to 'Promotion of International Peace and Security'. The Conference was held, as scheduled, from 11th to 14th November, 2016, at Lucknow, India. The theme of the Conference was "Uniting the World for Children through Enforceable World Law and Effective Global Governance." Besides, deliberations were also held in Parallel Sessions on various topics having international ramifications under six Thematic Groups (Annexure 1).
3. In this Conference the Prime Minister of Mauritius the Rt. Hon. Anerood Jugnauth, the Prime Minister and First Vice-President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana H.E. Mr. Moses Veerasammy Nagamootoo and Governor General of the Republic of Tuvalu H.E. Sir Iakoba T. Italeli also participated. Besides, former Presidents of the (1) Republic of Croatia H.E. Mr Stjepan Mesic, (2) Republic of South Africa H.E. Mr Kgalema Motlanthe, (3) Republic of Mauritius H.E. Mr Cassam Uteem and (4) Republic of Sudan H.E. Mr Abdul Rahman Swar Al Dahab also participated and, expressing their views, supported the call for enforceable World law and effective global governance.
4. The organizer of the Conference - the City Montessori School (popularly known as CMS), a senior secondary school at Lucknow (India), is recognized by the Guinness Book of Records as the world's largest school by pupils in a single city (Annexure 2) with presently over 53,000 students on roll and is the only school to have been awarded 'UNESCO Prize for Peace Education' which it received in the year 2002 (Annexure 3). The City Montessori School Society has been accorded N.G.O. (Non-Governmental Organization) status for its association with UN Department of Public Information (UNDPI) (Annexure 4).
5. The initiative of organizing the International Conference of Chief Justices of the World has been taken by the CMS under its ideal and vision that 'A Modern School must Act as a Lighthouse of Society' providing meaningful education, spiritual direction, guidance and leadership to student in particular and to parents and the society in general and that a modern school must also concern itself with the affairs of the age. As the largest school of the world and recipient of the UNESCO Prize for Peace Education, we at CMS consider it our duty to create world-wide awareness for world unity and world peace so as to make this world a better place to live in and in which children of the world and future generations may live in a safe and secure world and they may work for advancement of humanity.
6. Your Excellency is well aware about the present global scenario. International terrorism and war is some of the countries in middle-east and in some of the regions in Africa, have emerged as very serious problems in which children suffer, become destitute, lose their parents and shelter. Atrocities committed in the war may lead to danger of escalation of war in more areas. Open and continued atrocities inflicted upon young girls, women and children are horrifying, which are crimes against humanity and which put in question the fundamental human values and development of civilization. A large number of people fleeing these conflict zones has created serious concern for the world community.
7. Hon'ble Chief Justices and Judges from various countries of the world and also the eminent persons mentioned hereinbefore have expressed serious concern about the present global problems at the 17th International Conference of Chief Justices of the World and passed a Resolution (Annexure 5) in which it has been Resolved:-
"That urgent attention of Heads of State and Heads of Government of all countries of the world be drawn to the present sensitive and disturbing global situation, urging them to call a meeting of Heads of State/Government of all countries of the world -
To consider the present global problems facing mankind and to find solutions to these problems and to work for establishment of a World Parliament to enact enforceable World Laws, a World Government and a World Court of Justice at the earliest, before it is too late."
Besides, the following Recommendations have also been made in the Resolution:-
- "That although the UNO is working for peace, more serious and concrete steps must be taken to reform the United Nations by review of the UN charter with a view to making the UN fully democratic, representative and effective institution by amending the UN Charter for the maintenance of peace and security of mankind and for effective global governance;
- That the United Nations be urged to endeavour that the resources currently used in wars, manufacturing, research and development of Weapons of Mass Destruction and their delivery systems be consecrated for the welfare of mankind;
- That all nation states be urged to implement effectively the provisions of fundamental human rights as enshrined in declarations, conventions, protocols and resolutions of the United Nations and of regional organisations;
- That UN be urged to resolve that education for peace and cross-cultural understanding be imparted compulsorily from early childhood in all schools of the World so as to develop in every child virtues of unity, love and universal brotherhood; and
- That strict measures be taken against the organizations and nations engaged in or encouraging terrorism or assisting or protecting terrorists and that the nations or organizations extending financial or material assistance to terrorists be isolated and condemned by all nations."
8. Your Excellency is aware that global realities have changed since the creation of the United Nations Organization in 1945. The framers of the U.N. Charter had anticipated changes in global situation and have provided for review thereof in its article 109; but the much awaited review of the Charter has not been made. In the present global scenario review of the U.N. Charter is imperative.
9. In the Resolution, it has been emphasized that Heads of State/Government should meet on a common platform and enter into dialogue and mutual consultations to consider the present global problems and issues and to find solutions thereof. There is urgent need to safeguard the future of humanity and for a united and peaceful world under effective global governance and rule of law. It is, therefore, expedient that urgent steps be taken by political leadership of the world - Heads of State/Government to redress and address global problems and issues after mutual consultations in a meeting that may be organized by one of the Head of State/Government who will be known as pioneer of change for emancipation of humanity.
10. Your Excellency, we have also written to the U.N. Secretary General with the request that the views expressed, and recommendations made, in the Resolution be given serious consideration and supported actively by taking up the issue at appropriate level. By expressing their views in the Conference in the form of the Resolution, the world judiciary has shown the way forward and now it is for the world leadership to lead the world for a better future for humanity.
11. We shall be highly obliged if Your Excellency may kindly take initiative to call a meeting of Heads of State/Government as required in the attached Resolution passed at the 17th International Conference of Chief Justices of the World. We also request you to kindly raise the issue of review of the U.N. Charter which is overdue.
12. We shall be grateful for your views in this regard so that the same may be considered at the 18th International Conference of Chief Justices of the World to be held in November, 2017 at Lucknow, India. We shall be highly obliged if Your Excellency may kindly participate, as Chief Guest, at the 18th International Conference of Chief Justices of the World proposed to be held from 10th to 13th November, 2017 at Lucknow, India, for which formal invitation will be sent soon.
With highest regards,